Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Dial - A - Llama



As we better our goat herd, we've become more concerned with predators. We live in an area abundant with coyotes, although our Amish neighbors do a pretty good job with population control. Also abundant are domestic dogs- strays, free-roaming and otherwise. We have a fairly secure barn with high tensile electric fencing around the perimeter but every year we hear horror stories of dog attacks and mauled goats, adults and kids alike from others with seemingly 'secure' barns.

Options for protection include guard dogs, donkeys and llamas. We decided on a llama for several reasons, ease of feeding, cleanliness, less aggression to our own dogs and strangers and the size/ height intimidation factor. At times there are people we wouldn't mind scaring off. ..


Name: Blessing  (female)
Age: 14 years
Experience: Retired showgirl, past guardian of sheep
Likes: eating, grazing, kushing
Dislikes: dogs, coyotes, her halter

I went to meet her in Bristolville. Intimidated- yes. Full of questions- yes. Did she spit at me - no (this is what 99.9% of people ask me). I was relieved to see that she is fairly small for a llama, others at the farm towered over me, while she and I look eye to eye. I learned that llamas do not understand 'touch' so are not meant to be cuddled or petted. A-OK here, I'm a little petrified. 

A week later I brought her home. We constructed a catch pen, where we hoped to allow her to acclimate to the goats and vice-versa, where we could train her to come in at feeding time, and where we could catch and halter her for foot trimmings, vaccines, etc. She trailered easily, rode home and unloaded without difficulty. 

A stand off.
Goats: "Mom, what the hell is that?"
 Llama: "New mom, what the hell are those?"
We took things slow for a few days. We kept her haltered and secluded on day 1. She ate, she drank and she didn't trample me to death. *Win*

By day 2, I used a lead rope to lead her around the barn and the pasture perimeter 3-4 times. She didn't seem fond of the chickens or their skittish movements. She didn't care for the bucks either, they blubbered and grunted at her as if she would be their newest conquest. By the third trip around, she relaxed and started to graze a bit. She did stare longingly at the neighbors alpacas, humming every so often, making me feel bad for moving her from her friends to my collection of misfits. 

We left her halter on so I could catch her more easily, along with a short lead rope so I didn't have to get so close. She led very well, all in all. I brushed against her a few times and got a little scared about her reaction but we seemed to be tolerating one another well.  This isn't her, obviously, I was too nervous I would scare her with the camera flash at first. 

By day 3 the goats seemed to adjust to her presence so I let her loose for a few hours and caught her at feeding time and brought her in to eat. Amazed things were going so well, we got a little cocky. We let her loose, except for her halter. She immediately ran to the far corner of the pasture and kushed down and stayed there all night. At 5am morning feeding, its still dark, as is Blessing. I really felt like a moron walking around the pasture whisper-yelling 'Blessing!' while shaking a feed pan. I also felt my skin crawl because I was certain she was staring at me. Next task, change her name...Blessing....Bless....Bess....

Well, hello! You might notice that my halter is off now. After a few days of screwing with my new owners I caught on to the routine. I come in eagerly at feeding time and herd those pesky goats out of my private dining room. I also created a poop pile in 'their' pen, far from 'my' pen. Yes, I poop in the same spot every day. I'm very refined. 

You want me to watch them? They're such savages. I even saw one of them poop right in the water bucket. And that white one? She poops lying down. . .

As far as we know, Bess hasn't had to use her skills yet. She is certainly on high alert and hauls ass over to the fence when I let the dogs roam on the side of the house. She has integrated well into the herd. Its been about 7 weeks and the whole transition has gone much easier than we anticipated. She shares hayfeeders, water buckets and mineral tubs. She tolerates Sage, one of our yearlings who is constantly underfoot and uses Bess as a personal bodyguard. 

She leads the goats in and out at grazing time and tends to herd them between her and the barn. On cold windy nights she will sleep inside, positioned just inside the doorway so she can still scope things out. She comes when called and takes treats from our hands. I've yet to trim her feet, so that will be an adventure I'm sure. Still a little wary around her, but that's ok, we have no plans to snuggle up any time soon. 

So now that I'm a llama owner, I have to become a 'llama person' much like we became goat people. I did a quick search, just in time for Christmas. 

Fear the llama. I admit it... I still do.

OK, this sign is sort of funny. I would be happy to hang it on the milkroom wall. 

This one isn't bad either. I may wear this. 

Rog is going to need a shirt too. Wait....this is a little disturbing. Scratch this one.

Maybe a tie is more fitting?

Will need 100 for our closest family and friends.

If any of you see me wearing this, please put me out of my misery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment