Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Labor done the *right* way

Cammile is all business. She's the bully of the farm, a strong second in command to Elina. She is also inexplicably prettier when she's pregnant, which is strange. Better topline, better rear leg set. If only she had a full udder I think she would have no problem getting her last CH leg in the showring. She bounces around, beats everyone up- none of the lounging and grunting that many of the others take part in during the last few weeks before kidding.

Cam was induced for Saturday morning, a late Friday check told me she would go early so I started my hourly camera checks at about 3am. At 5 she suddenly laid down to push so I suited up and headed outside. By the time I walked from the milkroom to the pen she pushed out half the first kid, a chamoise buck. Before I could even lift him and put him in the tote and start drying him off, she gave another heave and out popped the second kid, a chamoisee doe.

Start to finish - 5 minutes. Tops. I looked at her, gave her a head scratch and without even a glance at her babies she popped up and started eating her breakfast. She seemed bothered that she had to take a few minutes out of her day to birth some kids.


It was a good morning. No sitting for hours on end, no disasters. I got the doe kid I was waiting for and even a nap!


1 comment:

  1. Now you just need to work on timing...not sure that I would agree that 5am is perfect timing!!! Congrats on the doeling.

    ReplyDelete