Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Breeding time

Breeding time = Stinky time!!!

Have a fresh batch of buck de-scenting soap at the ready. They are exceptionally gross this year. Good news is, only one attempted breeding of my thigh so far. Sometimes I hate goats...


Actually the soap is a little gross too. It is a combination of very strongly scented oils, ie anise, patchouli and coffee grounds. But it works! Great for getting the smell off our hands after chores. I only made 8 bars and I had to bring it in the basement because the smell was giving me a headache.

I was a little concerned about the does, as none of them were coming in to heat and it is a bit later than expected. Rog wasn't concerned. I think he was hoping I'd forget. And the does would forget. So naturally I voiced my concerns and bam, just like that we have 9 or so bred. Luna was playing hard-to-get this year and her breeding was likely not successful. Not for lack of trying, she was just being shy. At one point we even tried to loop a piece of twine around her tail to move it out of the way. Things got a little messy.

Claire was assaulted again this year. More leaping, twisting, jumping, flailing and choking after standing by the boys fence all day begging. I'm not sure what's wrong with her, she's a little nuts. 

The toggs receive the 'cooperative' award this year. Since we sold Capone, all 4 of my adult togg girls have to go on dates this year to the GGF Alpha herd which is about a 35 minute drive from here. They all came in to heat on the same day! What a lucky fluke! 4/4, no drama. 

The little girls won't be bred until November for April kids. I we have a winter like last year, this will prove to be a wise decision. 

Breeding plan and reservations can be viewed here: http://www.capralane.com/planned-breedings

Email me at capralane@yahoo.com for kid / milker / wether reservations. 

Also, an exciting new addition is on his way! More details to come soon. . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment