Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 7, 2011

Look out for killer hawks!

I'm not shy about my bird phobia, not embarassed by it either. I wasn't prepared to go out to the barn and check on my laboring does to find a red tailed hawk inside! Given that barn swallows really freak me out, I think I'm lucky to be alive. . .


Still haven't figured out how it came in, the main door was only open about 8 inches. Long story short, I worked for over an hour to get it out, my barn cats weren't helping a bit. I had to chip away a few inches of ice to open the door wider, pounded on the doors, walls, threw pebbles, turned the lights on and off, nothing worked. Every time I tried to go inside it would swoop towards me, and I ran away shrieking like a child. My mom tried to help, but she's the one who gave me the bird phobia, so we got nowhere. So I called my neighbors, who quickly made their way over with nets, poles, etc and were just walking towards the barn and the damn thing flew out. At least they saw how unnaturally huge and terrifying it was as it flew away. . .

Of course, the less rational part of me was worried about my 10 lb baby goats being carried away, but they're all fine ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment